- The Pens beat the Chicago Blackhawks 2-3 on Tuesday night at Consol Energy Center. Evgeni Malkin and James Neal extended their points streaks to 6 games. Malkin has 15 points in the last 6 games, including a hat trick (5 point total game against the Sabres). Five of the games were multi-point games for Geno.
- Matt Niskanen has points in 6 of the last 8 games, half of which were multi-point games.
- Tyler Kennedy scored his first goal in 12 games. He last scored against Ottawa on November 25th.
- Ben Lovejoy returned to the line-up last night for the first time since November 3rd, when he broke his wrist during the game in San Jose. He tallied a point with an assist on TK’s goal.
- Deryk Engelland will have a telephone hearing with Brendan Shanahan for his hit on Marcus Kruger during Tuesday’s game. I suspect he will face some sort of well warranted supplemental discipline.
- James Neal is tied for second in goals with Phil Kessel, Milan Michalek, Jonathan Toews (who also scored in Tuesday’s game), and Marian Gaborik. They each have 19 and are on the tail of Steven Stamkos, who has 20 goals.
- As of tonight, Geno is no longer leading the league in points, with 39. Claude Giroux has racked up 4 points in his return from a short time out with a concussion against Dallas. The Dallas game is not yet over, but Giroux has a goal and 3 assists.
- Eric Tangradi has been once again, reassigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Tangradi, while performing well in WB/S, just isn’t standing out in Pittsburgh.
- Simon Despres started off shaky in his first few NHL games this season, but seems to have found a new level of comfort and confidence in his game.